October 8, 2011

Hayrides and apple pickin'

At the end of September, we headed out to have a fall filled afternoon.  It was before the big rush on the apple orchards and pumpkin patches so that was nice.  The sun was shining and the sky was full of big puffy clouds.  As I heard one person say, "It's a Simpson's sky today."  Interesting way to view it, but true.  
We went out to a place for a hayride.  There was no hay involved, but that didn't matter for one girl's allergies.  There were 3 Belgian horses pulling our wagon and Nina started sneezing.  Then the sneezing turned to eye watering and not being able to breathe.  She didn't touch them or even really go near them.  The 30 minute hayride was definitely not as enjoyable as I would have liked with Nina being so miserable.  So, I learned that tissues and an inhaler are a must when there's even a chance she will be around horses.  It stopped and let us off to pick apples and pumpkins.  Nina and I walked back to the car to get her allergies and breathing under control.  Dennis and Alek were in charge of apple picking.

 Playing on the swings before our hayride.
 The playground was made to look like a big John Deere tractor.

 Alek in the pumpkin wheelbarrow getting ready to pick apples.
 Nina feeling a little better and getting one apple to eat before walking back.

It was a beautiful afternoon and a fun way to spend some family time.  The donuts weren't too bad either.  I love fall time in Michigan!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Looks like it was a fun adventure - minus the allergy problem. Did you know that Nina was allergic to horses prior to that experience? Sorry it was rough for her.

Pam said...

Yes I knew Nina was allergic to horses, but she didn't even touch them and was about 6 feet from them. That's impressive!